Top 5 Benefits of Infant Massage
- Reduce discomfort from constipation and gas
- Massage to the abdomen is a great way to help get things moving along when your infant is constipated or has increased gas.
- Help reduce colic
- If your infant suffers from colic, certain abdominal techniques may help reduce your infant’s discomfort.
- Promotes bonding between baby and parents
- Massage can help you learn your infant’s cues and promotes early communication.
- Improve sleep quality
- You may find that giving a massage before bed or nap will help your baby sleep.
- Reduce stress hormones
- Massage has been shown to reduce the levels of hormones caused by stress including cortisol.
Field, T., & Hernandez-Reif, M. (2001). Sleep problems in infants decrease following massage therapy. Early Child Development and Care, 168, 95-104.
Hernandez-Reif, M., Diego, M. & Field, T. (2007). Preterm infants show reduced stress behaviors and activity after 5 days of massage therapy. Infant Behavior & Development, 30, 557-61.