Physiotherapy is a health care profession which focuses on body mechanics, dedicated to improving health and quality of life. Physiotherapists work with patients to:
- Promote physical activity, overall health and wellness
- Prevent disease, injury, and disability
- Improve and maintain independence
- Manage acute and chronic conditions
- Relieve pain, improve flexibility and increase strength
- Rehabilitate injury
- Educate and plan maintenance programs to prevent re-occurrence or re-injury
- Improve posture, balance and co-ordination, most of which is affected with various orthopedic, sports-related, or neurologic ailments
At Woodbridge Avenue Chiropractic & Wellness Centre, our Physiotherapist will assess your condition based on a detailed history and examination. This exam focuses on movement and uses palpation of muscles, tendons, & ligamentous structures; assesses range of motion, flexibility & muscle strength; and uses special tests specific to your diagnosis. Based on this initial assessment, our physiotherapist will make a personalized plan of care that will aid in relieving your symptoms and preventing further injury.
The therapy will include a set of therapeutic modalities and strategies including:
- Education pertaining to your diagnosis and plan of care
- Personalized home exercise program consisting of stretching and strength training to prevent functional deterioration and re-injury
- Hands on manual techniques including joint mobilization, stretching, and soft-tissue release
- Heat and cold therapy
- Paraffin wax
- Concussion management
Our physiotherapist can also be part of your health care team for WSIB/MVA claims.
Physiotherapy for Concussion Management:
What is a concussion?
A concussion is a form of brain injury resulting from a direct or indirect contact to the head, face, or jaw. This injury can alter one’s brain function and produce a variety of physical, mental, emotional, and/or behavioural symptoms.
Currently, there is no gold standard for the detection of a concussive injury. Diagnosis is typically based on the presence of any combination of symptoms including, but not limited to: headaches, dizziness, nausea, light sensitivity, difficulty concentrating, and anxiety. Symptoms of concussion can differ from person to person, in terms of their onset, severity, and how long they persist. Individuals who have experienced a concussion are also more likely to get another one; with each subsequent concussion, possibly being worse than the first. Therefore, taking the appropriate steps following a concussion is crucial in preventing further injury to the brain.
STEP 1: If you suspect a concussion, you should seek medical assistance as early as possible from your family doctor, sport physician, or pediatrician. Your doctor will determine if you have sustained a concussion and give recommendations for self-care.
STEP 2: Book an appointment here at Woodbridge Avenue Chiropractic & Wellness Centre and be assessed by our physiotherapist who is a Trained Member of the Shift Concussion Management Program.
At Woodbridge Avenue Chiropractic & Wellness Centre we offer a multifaceted approach in the management of concussions that includes:
- Computerized neurocognitive testing
- Neurological screening and referral (where indicated)
- Individualized resting strategies and home activity instructions
- Specific recommendations/modifications around academic, work, or sports demands
- Manual therapy for associated complaints (i.e. neck pain, whiplash)
- Individualized home exercise program to decrease severity of symptoms and/or improve balance and coordination
- Physical exertion testing and exercise plans for return-to-sport and/or return-to-work
- Baseline pre-season testing for athletes and/or teams
At Woodbridge Avenue Chiropractic & Wellness Centre we understand that concussion rehabilitation can be a frustrating experience. We realize that concussions affect a wide array of individuals and each person’s concussion experience can vary greatly.
So whether you are a competitive athlete or an everyday person seeking help with this injury, our physiotherapist at Woodbridge Avenue Chiropractic & Wellness Centre is here to provide you with the best personalized care.
Monday & Wednesday: 2pm-8pm